Monday, August 4, 2014

How to Organize Files on Your Computer

// // 4 comments
Keeping the files in a computer organized is important. Even if you have fewer files on your computer and you think you can handle it, I must tell you that things won't be the same all the time. When the files on your computer increase, it becomes really difficult to keep track of your important files. And you might forget the location of files and it will be same as losing the data. If you have an external hard drive, save a back up of your important files like documents and photos. Thus you don't have to worry about data loss even if your hard disk drive fails. It is not necessary to happen.

The organizing files also depend on how you are you using it. Because of this depends on many factors, I can't write a step by step tutorial to organize files. But I can provide you with some knowledge from my experience. You have to decide how you want to organize your files. The thing you have to keep in mind is the capacity of your hard drive and number of partitions on your computer. The partitions can be edited by the user. It's not difficult, but doing wrong will definitely get you in trouble. The number of particles is your choice. It doesn't matter; there are no rules to partition it. Actually, there is a limit: You cannot create more than six partitions.

Now about my setup: The first partition is the system drive of course! One good portion of it is occupied by Windows. I don't keep much files in that because it is already near full. And the rest is the program files. I install all the softwares in the system drive. It is not because I'm too lazy to change the install location while installing the software! Other than that, I only keep small sized files in this partition. But I do have lot of save files of the games I play in the Documents library. But you should not replace them, otherwise they won't work correctly.

Note: If you have less number of partitions, you would probably have much free space in the C drive. In that case you can install games in the system drive itself.

Here's a picture showing how you can organize your files:

Create these folders on your computer and keep the mentioned file types inside them. The text in brackets shows what you have to store in that folder (You don’t have to create folders with this text). After you move all your files to these sorted folders, you can keep these folders on any partition according to free space.



I think that explains it all! This is how I keep the files on my computer organized.


Now it’s time for some tips:
  • You have to keep the number of files stored on your system drive (the drive Windows is installed) to minimum. Because it is the partition that is less secure. If the operating system is damaged and you have to format the partition, you may lose all the files in it. It's alright if you are keeping a backup in an external hard drive.
  • Keep your hard drive free of fragmentation. That is you have to defragment it regularly like in a month or two based on how frequently you add or remove files. I also want you to know that defragmentation may free up disk space too. Read my old post for more information: "How to Free up Disk Space Using Disk Defragmenter in Windows"
  • If the files take too much time to load, probably you have set “Group by”, “Sort by” or “Arrange by” to date or size. Just set it back to Name (example: Sort by name, get it?). Sorting by date or size takes too much time to load in Windows explorer.

Hope you enjoyed this post! I explained everything as I could. I would like to hear your thought on this, take a minute to leave a comment. Also it would be a great help if you shared this with your friends (on social networks or something). Thanks in advance :)

4 comments: Leave Your Comments

  1. Suvin,

    I came and read this post after seeing your forum topic on Indiblogger.

    This post was confusing to me. Are you saying that you "partition" the hard drive, so that you drive C, D, E etc? I think if you had just focused on organizing folders and not introduced the partition concept this post would have been clearer and supported the Title of the post better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ajesh,
      The picture clearly explains how to organize files on your computer. And you can just leave the confusing part there! I'm afraid that, this post will be even more confusing if I left out the partitions section. I'll try to improve it!

      Good to see you here:)

      Delete
  2. Question....I'm confused by the fact that my computer has for instance - my pictures my music, my documents and then public pictures, public music and public documents. They aren't the same and I'm not sure what programs are going where. how can I get things into just one named folder and get rid of the others without messing up paths or searches, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you are asking how to maintain the files in the libraries while changing locations of the files, right?
      >First organize your files as you like.
      >And after that you can add the folders by editing the locations.
      >>For example, if you want to add a folder to pictures library, go to pictures library.
      >>Then click on the locations (that will be on top of the screen just below you see Pictures library)
      >>Click on add>browse for your folder and click on include folder.

      I hope this is what you asked!

      Delete

Careful, you are going to comment on my blog. If you leave a comment, I will reply ^_^ Thanks for commenting. Will see you again :)

Recommended reading:

Share this: